Thursday, August 20, 2009

Tankini Dilemma

Here was my dilemma, Sakoya and Saige were desperately in want of new tankini swimming suits this year. We have looked around since the spring trying to find something that was long enough. There is a great website called limericki that carries very cute long tankinis and bottoms however they are quite pricey. One day this summer we were at Lagoon a beach and I noticed a cute tankini that had a ruffle thing on the bottom that I liked. I got to thinking and decided maybe we could buy and tankini then lengthen it so that it was long enough to make their mother happy. I got looking and finally found some tankinis on clearance and Old Navy. We even bought the first top on clearance in a store in SLC. I then went online and found the other top and bottoms at Old Navy for $3.99 a piece.
This is what the swimsuits looked like before my modifications. I bought extra tops and cut them up and inserted them into the originals. Here are my after shots. I added about 3" in length to the tops and they look much better. I would have liked them to turn out a little longer but I couldn't get any more material out of what I had. Total cost: about $12.50 a tankini top and bottom with a little extra I paid for the shipping. I think they turned out pretty good considering. The girls like them, Sakoya's shorts are a little big and I will have to work on them some more but for the most part a rather successful project.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

That is a really creative idea, Robyn! I am impressed. It's neat you can do stuff like that. The Tankinis have been an issue here. Especially with long bodies and some tiny bottoms. Tiny bikini bottoms, that is. Oh-oh. Not that Meg's and Kala's bottoms are big. Fred Meyer was my solution this year. It's great.

Callin and Kristen said...

Great job Robyn! Those turned out great! And, no other little girls will have the same suits! Very nice!

MOM & DAD said...

Those are soooo cute, Robyn! I'm sure the girls love them and are grateful to their mom for being a creative genious!!