Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Derringer, All Boy and Trying his Mom's Patience

Sometimes I feel as a mom I am not doing so hot and I definitely feel that way in raising my first boy. I had trying times with the older girls but raising Derringer is a whole new experience for me. I have had people tell me that boys are way easier, they are just plain crazy or they have not met my sweet, wonderful, full of energy Derringer. I ask myself was I like this when I was little or is he busy like Jeramy was when he was little.Just a few highlights of the past couple of weeks:We went to a dance competition in Pocatello the weekend of the 15th of March. Sakoya, Saige and Denali all had to Dance. My mom and dad came up to help me with it all and they had Kestle with them because Candace and Tracy were out of town. Anyway, all seems to be going well and Kestle and Derringer, however busy were just dancing around behind where we were sitting. The competition was at the new Stephens Fine Performing Arts center and we were sitting up on a balcony. There was a long hallway back just out the doors from where we were and the two of them were playing out there. Nothing really in the hallway to hurt or anyone to disturb (or so I thought). All of the sudden the fire alarm goes off, lights flashing, loud noise the whole bit. The announcer asked that everyone please exit the building when around the corner comes Derringer and Kestle who is saying, "I didn't do it, Denger, did it." I am kind of lost until Derringer says, " I tried to put it back up, but wouldn't go." I was so stunned I didn't know what to think so as they are clearing out the building my thoughts are if I tell them he did this they can get it fixed sooner which will lead to a shorter delay in the competition. I then take him to the front and we go show someone which station was pulled in hopes it can be taken care of quickly. Oh how wrong I was. At least 45 minutes later, me talking to campus security and the taking the firemen back into the building, Derringer admitting that he "just wanted to see what it doed," and so on they finally get it fixed and I am so stressed for being the parent of the child who pulled the fire alarm the competition finally started again. Needless to say I was feeling like the bad parent.Here are some other but not quite so exciting Derringer tricks.One day I was cleaning at the Dance Shack and he found a pair of scissors in the diaper bag which he proceeded to give himself a haircut with, when I found large chunks of hair on the floor I was truly grateful that it was his hair and not Wynter's.One day while I was downstairs he found and old charged cell phone with no SIM card which he used to contact the only number that he could, yes, that would be 911, and ask the lady for his daddy which he wanted to talk with. She told him to take the phone to his mother and I was left to finish the call to the very nice 911 operator.I love the kid to death and tell him everyday but sometimes I feel that I am failing him as a parent.To say the kid is smart is and understatement. For those of you who have had or are currently raising boys please help me here. I am doing my best to keep and eye on him but I need some suggestions as how to prevent any future occurrences of the the above mentioned incidents. If I have somehow provided a good laugh for you today, you a welcome and enjoy. I truly do find humor in most of his antics after the fact and have a hard time staying mad at him too long.

3 comments:

MOM & DAD said...

Robyn--hang in there!! Some days are just going to be more eventful than others! The other thing you can be grateful for is the fact that he is your boy cutting his hair and not your girl. I remember one time when Steph cut hers, the whole side was about 4 inches shorter than the other side. Actually, I can remember twice that she cut her hair! Just keep smiling!! And thanks for sharing!!

Stephanie said...

OH MY GOSH! THAT IS HILARIOUS! I'm sorry it's at your expense. Yeah - about boys - No, heck no! It is NOT easier raising boys than girls. Whoever said that musta been smokin something in their spare time. Just plan on feeling like a failure - and keeping pace at break neck speed! It doesn't get any easier! At least not yet! I'm still waiting for my 13-year-old son to act his age, grow up, be responsible! And thank heavens he puts up with me too!

Tyson and Carrie said...

This story is so funny! But at the time I would have been panicking, so I can only imagine what you were going through. Boys keep you on your toes. Always on the go.