Sunday, September 14, 2008

Guten Tag!

Good Afternoon! Well, we have been in Germany 4 days and that is all I know how to say! Everything is going good. We went to housing on Fri and they gave us a certificate to live off post because they can't get us a place to live for at least 6 months. Good news Tyson, there is a bowling alley on post so get your passports! :) We called the bishop the first day we were here and they offered us a ride to church and invited us over for dinner. They are great. They are the Jones' also. She knows a lady who is a realtor and specializes in rentals so she is going to help us find a place! I am really excited about that. It was so nice to eat a home cooked meal. The last few days we have been eating at local restaurants and with the language barrier, we have to point at pictures and I ate lamb the other day without realizing it. It wasn't that bad but I'm not running back there to get it again any time soon! It turned cold yesterday and all I have to wear with my skirts are my sandals so I told Josh we had to go buy me some shoes with closed toes to wear to church and he told me he will put black tape on my sandals and I would be good to go! Church was good. We are in an english-speaking ward, but in a German Stake, and of course today was stake conference! We were lost. We did have headsets and an interpreter but he couldn't keep up with the speakers and I think he was summarizing. Anyway we did meet some of the people that is in our ward. I think the Germans are rude! Josh says I just don't like being the minority! They just bump in to you on the street and don't say anything. It is really expensive over here. The other night Josh and I went out and got pizza and he had a sprite and I had water, but they don't serve tap (free) water they serve water in fancy bottles and they are 3.95 euro each which is like $5. They also bring you carbonated water so you have to tell them flat. Anyway our bill was almost $40. Josh said we couldn't eat the next day! Everything is fancy over here. The hotel's are a little different over here. You have to use the key that unlocks the door to turn on the power in the room. It is really weird. I guess that is how they make sure you don't leave the tv or light on when you leave. Last night Josh went out with some of his school buddies and I didn't want to go so instead of waiting up until he got home I let him take the key with him and then I couldn't fall asleep! Yes I set in the room with no lights or tv! Oh yeah the only american channel we have is CNN so we are all caught up on the news! We really miss everyone! Talk to you soon, love Natalie

3 comments:

Mikala Bowers said...

I miss you guys soo much! i am so excited to see the pictures and to learn about Germany lol! Keep posting!!! LOVE Mikala

Stephanie said...

Natalie, I love to read what you have to say, because I can HEAR you saying it in my head! It makes me laugh! Although - my heart kind of hurts for you because I don't think I would handle being in such a totally different environment very well at all! But, I'm sure you're stronger than I am! Have Josh splurge, let him know you DESERVE new shoes!

RJ, Shanna And Zach said...

Sounds like your going to do well there. Once your housing is setup you will be official Germans, So I look forward to all the new words you can share with us.

Miss you guys
RJ, Shanna & Zach